Your oral health is important to us, which is why we take extra precautionary measures to preserve the health of your smile. However, your whole body health is important to us as well. During every general dentistry visit to our American Fork, Lehi, and Orem-area practice, Dr. Lohner and Dr. Jimmer perform an extensive oral cancer screening. If detected early enough, oral cancer can be controlled and eliminated prior to reaping havoc on the structural integrity of your teeth and mouth tissue.
Why Do I Need An Oral Cancer Screening?
Oral cancer is a harmful disease that destroys oral tissues and may even have fatal results. Routine oral cancer screenings are important because when we catch oral cancer in its earlier stages, then it is much easier to treat successfully. Additionally, treating oral cancer early on makes it less likely to reoccur. When we are able to find oral cancer through one of our regular screenings, then you may not have to suffer from its most serious effects.
What Are Some Of The Symptoms Of Oral Cancer?
We will thoroughly examine your oral cavity and scan it with advanced imaging equipment to make sure you do not have oral cancer. Some symptoms you can keep an eye out for include:
- A persistent sore throat or feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- A persistent or lasting sore on the face, neck, or mouth that bleeds easily and does not heal within two weeks
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain, or numbness in the face, neck, or mouth
- Ear pain
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips, or other parts of the mouth
- Red, white, or speckled red and white patches in the mouth
- Difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing
- A change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together
What Areas Can Oral Cancer Affect?
At Lexington Heights Dental, we examine several areas in your mouth in order to detect the presence of oral cancer. This disease can affect several parts of your mouth, including your:
- Floor of the mouth
- Throat (pharynx)
- Hard and soft palate
Contact Us If You Want To Receive An Oral Cancer Screening
Our dentists and team work to protect your oral health and your life when we perform a screening for oral cancer in Cedar Hills, Utah. If you would like to benefit from this service, then call us today.